Leeks are high in vitamins A and C, folate and the circulation-boosting flavonoid kaempferol. Salmon is high in heart and brain-healthy omega 3s, calcium and contains the cancer-protective, powerful antioxidant astaxanthin. The red colour of Sockeye salmon is reflective of its high astaxanthin content.
Prepare: 15 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
- 2 salmon fillets
- 2 leeks
- ½ head broccoli
- 1 carrot
- 160ml can/⅔ cup coconut cream
- 1tbsp butter
- 1tbsp sesame seeds
For the salmon glaze:
- 1tbsp soy sauce (gluten-free) or tamari sauce
- 1tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1tbsp rice wine (or 2tsp apple cider vinegar)
- 1tsp grated ginger
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1tsp Cajun seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Mix together all the ingredients for the salmon glaze. Place the salmon in a baking dish, skin side up, and coat with the marinade. Leave to stand for 15 minutes to take on the flavours.
- Meanwhile, remove the dark green parts of the leeks, wash well to remove any grit or dirt and finely chop.
- Chop the broccoli and carrots into 1-2” pieces and put your steamer pan on to heat up.
- Sprinkle the sesame seeds over the marinaded salmon, and bake in the oven for 15 minutes, until cooked through.
- While the salmon is cooking, heat a frying pan to a medium-high heat and add the butter, leeks and a pinch of salt. Sauté for 3-4 minutes until translucent and they are gently starting to colour, but not brown. Turn down the heat to low, and continue to cook covered with a lid, stirring occasionally.
- Add the carrot and broccoli to the steamer. Cook for 6-7 minutes until they are still holding their shape, but not hard.
- Add the coconut cream to the leeks and stir through, uncovered, on a gentle simmer. The coconut cream leeks should become thick and creamy in texture (about 10 minutes).
- Serve the leeks with the steamed vegetables, with the baked salmon placed on top.
Always try to buy wild Alaskan or Sockeye salmon, which are lower in toxins, non-GMO and not farmed (salmon farms have questionable environmental practices).
Nutrition (per serving):
- 698 kCal
- 44g total fat
- 22g saturated fat
- 39g net carbs
- 43g protein
- 4g fibre